The United Nations high-level political forum on sustainable development (HLPF) in 2023 was held from 10 – 19 July 2023, under the auspices of the Economic and Social Council. This includes the three-day ministerial segment of the forum from 17-19 July 2023, as part of the high-level segment of the Council.
The theme for the HLPF 2023 is “Accelerating the recovery from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the full implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development at all levels”. In the forum, participants discussed the effective and inclusive recovery measures to address the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and explored actionable policy guidance for the full implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs at all levels.
The Division for Sustainable Development Goals at the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA/DSDG) and the New York Office of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR), organized the 2023 edition of the SDGs Learning, Training & Practice – a series of capacity building and knowledge learning sessions held annually as a Special Event to the HLPF, featuring speakers and experts from many sectors on crucial topics related to the implementation of the SDGs under review in 2023 HLPF as well as supporting discussions leading up to the SDG Summit in September.
The 2023 SDG Learning, Training and Practice Special Event aligns with the 2023 HLPF theme: "Accelerating the recovery from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the full implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development at all levels", closely connected with the following SDGs reviewed at the 2023 HLPF:
- SDG 6: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- SDG 7: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- SDG 9 Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- SDG 11 Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- SDG 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
The 2023 SDGs Learning, Training and Practice Special sessions were held in both in-person and virtual format.
Ten learning sessions were organized and distributed during the first five days of the HLPF (10-14 July 2023), organized by Member States, UN entities and other relevant stakeholders selected through an open application process.
For online sessions, UNITAR and UNDESA provided the online platform access, coordinate participants registration, outreach and reporting.
For in-person sessions, guidance was provided to selected organizers accordingly.
The 2023 SDGs Learning, Training & Practice workshops aim to advance:
- Knowledge and skills acquisition
- Sharing experiences and peer to peer collaboration
- Learning about practical actions and best practices
- Capacity building
- Practical policy integration and coherence
All sessions were livestreamed, recorded, and open to all interested participants. All information is posted on the website and a dedicated page was set up at the 2023 HLPF website to promote information about the different sessions.
A summary report is produced by UN DESA and UNITAR and published on the website, click here to download the report or check the "Documentation" tab on this website.
OPEN CALL FOR LEARNING SESSION PROPOSALS (CLOSED)
National governments and stakeholder organizations interested in organizing a SDGs Learning, Training & Practice session may submit one learning session proposal.
The open call is closed on 30 March 2023.
- Only submissions in English will be considered.
- Applicants will be asked to indicate their preference for virtual or in-person sessions.
- The selection of learning sessions will be based on the quality of proposals, relevance to the HLPF theme and focus of the 2023 SDG Learning, Training and Practice priorities (as indicated above), the expertise of the organizers, and willingness to produce the desired output.
- There is no fee for submission or approval of proposed courses.
Monday, 10 Jul
Session 1: Paradigm shift: tools to ensure best practice when engaging marginalized communities and youth
Session 2: Accelerating SDG 6 implementation: Water Action Agenda and interlinkages with other SDGs
Tuesday, 11 Jul
Session 3: Resilience in a time of crisis: Transforming Energy access, Climate Action Learning and strengthening indigenous knowledge to achieve the SDGs
Session 4: Sustainability in Action: The Role of Facility Management and Electrotechnology’s Impact on the SDGs - A New Story
Wednesday, 12 Jul
Session 5: SDG Synergies: a tool to support decision making in implementing the 2030 Agenda
Session 6: Building Sustainable Cities: Harnessing the potential of local communities to withstand crises
Thursday, 13 Jul
Session 7: Accelerating resilient recovery: Role of Infrastructure Sector and Entrepreneurship
Session 8: Enabling effective multi-stakeholder partnerships for the Sustainable Development Goals
Friday, 14 Jul
Session 9: SDG 11: Progress, challenges, lessons learned and tools for sustainable transformation of cities
Virtual Participation (Open to All)
Registration for virtual participation is now open to all interested stakeholders.
Please register here to participate virtually to all sessions.
Please note that all the in-person sessions listed below will be webcast live on UN WebTV.
Registered virtual participants will receive the direct links to all virtual sessions as well as the webcast links to the in-person sessions.
Therefore, even if you plan to attend in-person, it is strongly recommended that you also register for virtual participation to ensure you will receive all relevant information to all sessions.
Live Stream of all virtual sessions
Please find the live stream of all virtual sessions here: SDGs Learning, Training and Practice | UNITAR.
In-person Participation (ONLY Open to those with a valid UN grounds pass or stakeholders already registered to attend the 2023 HLPF)
The SDG Learning, Training and Practice Sessions to be held in person at Conference Room 5 at the UN Headquarters in New York are open to all those registered to attend the UN high-level political forum on sustainable development, and/or who have valid UN grounds passes. Please use this form to indicate your interest in the different in-person sessions listed below, so that you will be able to receive updates about this event.
PLEASE NOTE: No special events tickets will be issued for in person participants, you should only register to attend in-person if you have a valid UN grounds pass. If you do not have a valid UN ground pass, please register to attend virtually.
In-person sessions include the following (all time indicated below are Eastern Daylight Time):
Monday, 10 July 2023
- Opening session, 11:15 – 12:00
- Session 1: Strengthening partnerships: tools to promote youth protagonism and leaving no one behind, 12:00 – 13:00
- Session 2: Accelerating SDG 6 implementation: Water Action Agenda and interlinkages with other SDGs, 15:00 – 17:00
Tuesday, 11 July 2023
- Session 4: Sustainability in Action: The Role of Facility Management and Electrotechnology’s Impact on the SDGs - A New Story, 15:00 – 17:00
Wednesday, 12 July 2023
- Session 6: Sustainable cities and communities for all: Harnessing the potential of local communities to withstand crises, 15:00 – 17:00
Thursday, 13 July 2023
- Session 8: Enabling effective multi-stakeholder partnerships for the Sustainable Development Goals 15:00 – 17:00
Friday, 14 July 2023
- Session 10: Gender-Responsiveness in Partnerships for the SDGs: consultations, tools, strategies and approaches to overcome barriers towards gender equality, 15:00 – 17:00
For information on previous editions of the HLPF SDGs Learning, Training and Practice, please visit: