Stakeholder Engagement – UN 2023 Water Conference
This page includes updates on opportunities for stakeholder engagement in the preparatory process to the UN 2023 Water Conference.
According to A/RES/75/212, 4 (f) the Conference should “involve all relevant stakeholders, bringing together Governments, the United Nations system, intergovernmental organizations, international financial institutions, other interested international bodies, non-governmental organizations, civil society organizations, academic institutions, the scientific community, the private sector, philanthropic organizations and other actors to assess challenges and opportunities relating to, as well as support further action to implement, the objectives of the Decade and the water-related goals and targets of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.”
Paragraphs 22 invites “other relevant stakeholders, including organizations and bodies of the United Nations, intergovernmental organizations, international financial institutions, other interested international bodies and non-governmental organizations, civil society organizations, academic institutions, the scientific community, the private sector and philanthropic organizations, whose work is relevant to the Conference, accredited in accordance with the provisions set forth in annex II to the present resolution, to participate as observers in the Conference and its preparatory meeting.”
Paragraph 24 “Stresses the importance of the participation and full involvement of all relevant stakeholders, including women, children, young people, older persons, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and local communities, in the implementation of the Decade at all levels.”
Participation and Special Accreditation
ONLY eligible organizations can register representatives to participate in the UN 2023 Water Conference and its preparatory meetings.
Please note: practical arrangements for participation will be communicated in due course on the Conference webpage.
Organizations that fall under the following categories will be able to request registration to attend the UN 2023 Water Conference and its preparatory meetings*:
- Non-governmental organizations and major groups as identified in Agenda 21, in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council (Special, General or Roster consultative status). You can check if your organization has consultative status here.
- Organizations that have received special accreditation by the General Assembly to the following past Summits (please click on the link for details):
- Organizations that will receive special accreditation by the General Assembly to attend the UN 2023 Water Conference – please read more below.
*Please note: Organizations in consultative status with ECOSOC whose statuses have been suspended by the UN NGO Committee will not be allowed to request registration to the UN 2023 Water Conference, irrespective of previous accreditation to past UN Conferences.
Relevant non-governmental organizations, civil society organizations, academic institutions, the scientific community, the private sector and philanthropic organizations whose work is relevant to the Conference that are not in consultative status with ECOSOC, or that have not been accredited to the Summit listed above must apply for special accreditation.
First Round of Special Accreditation is now CLOSED. Please check back here regularly on updated information regarding the results and the dates for the next round of special accreditation.
|PLEASE NOTE: |
1. Accreditation applications can only be submitted on behalf of relevant organizations or entities.
Applications by individuals are not accepted.
2. Applications can only be done through the dedicate online form (closed now).
3. Applications will need to provide the following documents (all required):
1) proof of legal status;
2) a letter on official letterhead and signed by the Head of Organization requesting accreditation and;
3) a list of the key relevant activities undertaken by your organization in the past 12 months related to the Conference theme.
- All applications for special accreditation will be reviewed by the Secretariat before they are presented to the General Assembly membership.
- Special accreditation is granted to organizations or entities by the UN General Assembly on a non-objection basis.
- Following the Assembly’s approval, the Secretariat will notify all organizations that have received special accreditation.
- Once an organization or entity has received special accreditation, it will need to register to attend the UN 2023 Water Conference and its preparatory meetings.
- Non-governmental organizations in consultative status with the ECOSOC or other entities listed above do not need to apply for special accreditation.
Please check the Frequently Asked Questions and the information flyer related to the participation of non-governmental organizations, civil society organizations, academic institutions, the scientific community, the private sector and philanthropic organizations in the UN 2023 Water Conference.
INFORMATION MAILING LIST FOR THE UN 2023 WATER CONFERENCE
If you are interested in receiving updates on the preparatory process for the UN 2023 Water Conference, please sign up to a dedicated mailing list:
*Note: Registering to the mailing list does not grant participation to the UN 2023 Water Conference or related event.
First Online Stakeholder Briefing
On 15 June 2022, from 10:00 - 11:00 AM (EDT), the UN DESA Division for Sustainable Development Goals, as the Secretariat of the UN 2023 Water Conference, together with the Conference Co-Hosts (the Netherlands and Tajikistan), has organized an online stakeholder briefing to share information about the Conference, including opportunities for engagement and expected outcomes.
The online briefing was open to all stakeholders. The recording and summary can be accessed on the event page here.
Global Online Consultation: THEMES FOR INTERACTIVE DIALOGUES (closed)
Non-governmental organizations, civil society organizations, academic institutions, the scientific community, the private sector, philanthropic organizations and other stakeholders were invited to contribute proposals for the themes of the interactive dialogues through a global online consultation. The consultation closed on 10 March 2022.
- A summary report is now available here.
- For more information about the global online consultation, please visit: bit.ly/WaterEConsultation2022info.
- All responses are published here: https://bit.ly/WaterEConsultation2022Response.
For any additional questions, please contact: email@example.com .