Webinar 3 focused on the re-occurring challenges of realizing climate/SDGs synergies in practice. Speakers spoke to the implications of integrated Climate/SDGs action for national capacity, financing, and monitoring. They offered tools, resources, and advice to help participants address each implementation challenge. Participants shared relevant examples and made forward-looking suggestions.
- What capacity or institutional constraints prevent countries or localities from integrating climate and SDG action? What strategies have been effective to overcome capacity gaps?
- What does an integrated climate/SDGs action mean for financing? Considering the COVID-19 Pandemic, how can countries identify financing for integrated climate/SDGs action?
- How can the synergies be monitored for transparency & accountability? What steps are countries taking to capture the impacts of policy multipliers, including across sectors?
Watch Webinar 3 Recording
Prof Mark Swilling, Co-Director, Stellenbosch Centre for Complex Systems in Transition, Stellenbosch University, South Africa
- Baysa Naran, Senior Analyst, Climate Policy Initiative - Overview of the global climate finance landscape and opportunities for climate/SDG synergies. Presentation
- Héctor Arce Benavides, Ing., Director, National REDD+ Strategy, Costa Rica National Forestry Finance Fund (FONAFIFO) - Payments for ecosystem services (synergies between Forests & climate action). Presentation
- Shehnaz Moosa, PhD., Director, Climate Development & Knowledge Network - Capacity building challenges and opportunities for climate/SDG synergies in the Global South. Presentation
- Surabhi Rajagopal, Senior Program Manager, SustainPlus Energy Foundation - Climate/SDG synergies: Overcoming challenges on means of implementation.
Closing of webinar series and next steps:
- Bahareh Seyedi, Senior Sustainable Development Officer, UNDESA Presentation
- Marco Suazo, Head of New York Office, UNITAR
HÉCTOR ARCE BENAVIDES
Ing., Director, National REDD+ Strategy, Costa Rica National Forestry Finance Fund (FONAFIFO)
Co-Director, Stellenbosch Centre for Complex Systems in Transition, Stellenbosch University, South Africa