Work Stream 9: STI policy frameworks, action plan and roadmapsSun 13 Jun 2021, 4.36 am
The Global Pilot Programme on STI for SDGs Roadmaps
The United Nations Inter-Agency Task Team (IATT) together with key TFM partners launched the Global Pilot Programme on Science, Technology and Innovation for SDGs Roadmaps in July 2019. The first phase of the Programme included an initial group of five pilot countries. Under this phase, roadmaps are piloted in Ethiopia, Ghana, India, Kenya, and Serbia. Most recently, in February 2021, Ukraine also joined the Programme bringing the number of pilot countries to six. In addition, both the European Union and Japan joined the Global Pilot Programme to strengthen international partnerships on STI for SDGs roadmaps. These pilots are implemented following the guidance of the "Guidebook for the Preparation of STI for SDGs Roadmaps".
The outcomes of these pilots will be used to generate lessons that will improve the guidelines. The results of the first pilot phase will be presented at the Multi-stakeholder Forum on Science, Technology and Innovation for the SDGs, New York, 2021.
The programme will provide inputs to the Guidebook and the development of roadmaps in a number of countries. The Guidebook has been developed by STI experts and representatives from UN IATT and other key strategic partners.
To date, more than 20 countries have expressed interest in joining the programme. They will be accepted into the programme as resources to support their participation become available.
Science, technology and innovation are critical elements needed by all countries to achieve the SDGs. STI roadmaps for SDGs are policy and planning tools leading to actions that can accelerate the attainment of the SDGs. They are integrated into national plans and are highly adaptable to different country contexts.
The initiative to develop STI for SDGs roadmaps is being carried out by UN-IATT members including UN-DESA, World Bank, UNCTAD, UNESCO, UNIDO, FAO, UN-ESCAP, ESCWA, WIPO and UNSG Office of the Envoy on Technology, among others. Substantial support has been provided by international stakeholders, including the European Commission's Joint Research Centre, the Global Sustainable Technology and Innovation Conference Series, the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, the Government of Japan, and COVIDEA. The African Union Commission has expressed support for the implementation of roadmaps in African countries.
IATT and the TFM partners have also prepared the Progress Report of the Global Pilot Programme which took stock of the state of country pilots, to draw out lessons and implications from the current implementation and to suggest ideas for the way forward. The Background Papers and the Progress Report are available below:
- Progress Report of the Global Pilot Programme on STI for SDGs Roadmaps 2021
- Progress Report (executive summary): the Global Pilot Programme on STI for SDGs Roadmaps
- Progress Report (full version): the Global Pilot Programme on STI for SDGs Roadmaps, July 2020
- Background Paper: International STI Collaboration and Investment for the SDGs, June 2020
- Background Paper: Overview of the Existing STI for SDGs Roadmapping Methodologies, June 2020
For more information on the Global Pilot Programme on Science, Technology and Innovation for SDGs Roadmaps, please contact Mr. Wei Liu, UN-DESA (liuw[at]un.org).
Online information repository
As one of the key deliverables of the Roadmap workstream of UN Inter-agency Task Team, an online information repository platform below is created by compiling and making available a selection of STI or STI related roadmaps from organizations and agencies both within the UN system and beyond. The purpose of such a platform is to foster an efficient and effective access to and exchange of information among stakeholders on recent work that is supportive of the development of STI roadmaps for SDGs. With this aim, this platform will become an online resourceful portal on the state of STI policy setting frameworks and will contribute to enhancing the capacity of member states in integrating STI in development processes.
Note: each STI roadmap listed in the document will be categorized into the specific sustainable goals it is targeting on.
- SDG1 SDG2 SDG3 SDG4 SDG5 SDG6 SDG7 SDG8 SDG9 SDG10 SDG11 SDG12 SDG13 SDG14 SDG15 SDG16 SDG17
Reference List for the STI Roadmaps
References from UN Agencies:
1. DESA and the World Bank
- UNCCD. Terms of Reference of the Science-Policy Interface. 7 Dec. 2017, https://knowledge.unccd.int/sites/default/files/inline-files/SPI Terms of Reference_110717.pdf.
- UNCTAD STIP Review Framework, 2011 http://unctad.org/en/Docs/dtlstict2011d7_en.pdf
- Update in CSTD, Effectively harnessing science, technology and innovation to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, 2018: http://unctad.org/meetings/en/SessionalDocuments/ciimem4d17_en.pdf
- CSTD-UNCTAD. Strategic Foresight for the Post-2015 Development Agenda: 23 Feb. 2015, http://unctad.org/meetings/en/SessionalDocuments/ecn162015d3_en.pdf.
SDG17 SDG8 SDG9 SDG10 SDG7 SDG11 SDG13
- UNCTAD. Digital Tools for Foresight. Oct. 2017, http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/ser-rp-2017d10_en.pdf.
SDG1 SDG2 SDG3 SDG4 SDG6 SDG7 SDG8 SDG9
- UNCTAD. The Role of Science, Technology and Innovation in Ensuring Food Security by 2030. May 2017, http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/dtlstict2017d5_en.pdf.
- UNCTAD. New Innovation Approaches to Support the Implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals. Apr. 2017, http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/dtlstict2017d4_en.pdf.
SDG9 SDG10 SDG17
- UNDG. Applying FORESIGHT and ALTERNATIVE FUTURES to the United Nations Development Assistance Framework. Oct.2016, https://undg.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Final-DOCO-foresight-paper.pdf
SDG1 SDG2 SDG3 SDG4 SDG5 SDG7 SDG16 SDG17
5. UN Women:
- UN Women & UN Global Pulse. Gender Equality and Big Data. Available UNDG Website, Feb. 2018, http://undg.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Gender-equality-and-big-data-en.pdf.
6. World Bank/UN-DESA:
- UN-IATT on STI for SDGs, IATT Background Paper: Science, Technology and Innovation for SDGs Roadmaps, June 2018, https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/19009STI_Roadmap_Background_Paper_pre_STI_Forum_Final_Draft.pdf
- UNDP, Handbook for Conducting Technology Needs Assessment for Climate Change, Nov., 2010, https://unfccc.int/sites/default/files/1529e639caec4b53a4945ce009921053.pdf
- UNDP, The SDG Accelerator and Bottle Neck Assessment (ABA), 2017, http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/librarypage/sustainable-development-goals/sdg-accelerator-and-bottleneck-assessment.html
- GCPSE-UNDP, Foresight Manual: Empowered Futures for the 2030 Agenda, Jan., 2018, http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/librarypage/capacity-building/global-centre-for-public-service-excellence/ForesightManual2018.html
- UNECA, Africa's Blue Economy: A policy handbook, March 2016, https://www.uneca.org/sites/default/files/PublicationFiles/blueeco-policy-handbook_en.pdf
SDG5 SDG9 SDG10 SDG13 SDG14
- ESCWA thirtieth session Beirut, June 2018, "Technology for Sustainable Development: Creating Decent Jobs and Empowering Youth in Arab Countries" https://www.unescwa.org/sites/www.unescwa.org/files/events/files/technology_for_sustainable_development.pdf
SDG8 SDG9 SDG17
- The Broken Cycle: Universities, Research, and Society in the Arab World; 2014 https://www.unescwa.org/sites/www.unescwa.org/files/page_attachments/broken_cycle_study_-_english_version.pdf
SDG4 SDG8 SDG9 SDG17
- Perspectives on the Digital Economy in the Arab Region; 2017 https://www.unescwa.org/sites/www.unescwa.org/files/publications/files/perspectives-digital-economy-arab-region-english_0.pdf
SDG8 SDG9 SDG17
- Innovation Policy for Inclusive Sustainable Development in the Arab Region; 2017 https://www.unescwa.org/sites/www.unescwa.org/files/publications/files/innovation-policy-inclusive-sustainable-development-arab-region-english_0.pdf
SDG8 SDG9 SDG10 SDG17
- UNEP, Technology Needs Assessment (TNA) Guidebooks, http://www.tech-action.org.redigering7.sitecore.dtu.dk/Publications/TNA-Guidebooks
SDG1 SDG6 SDG7 SDG13 SDG14 SDG15
- UNEP, Applications of the Sustainability Assessment of Technologies Methodology: Guidance Manual, 2012, https://wedocs.unep.org/bitstream/handle/20.500.11822/8649/IETC_SAT_Manual_Nov_2012.pdf?sequence=3&isAllowed=y
SDG7 SDG9 SDG11 SDG13 SDG14 SDG15
- UNESCO, Global Observatory of Science, Technology and Innovation Policy Instruments (GO-SPIN), Training and Resources: https://en.unesco.org/go-spin/training-resources
- Proposed Standard Practice for Surveys on STI Policy Instruments, STI Governing Bodies, STI Legal Framework and Policies http://www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/SC/pdf/GO-SPIN_Survey.pdf
SDG4 SDG5 SDG7 SDG8 SDG9 SDG10 SDG13 SDG16
- UNESCO's Medium-Term Strategy for 2014-2021 http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0022/002278/227860e.pdf UNESCO,
- Comprehensive Strategy for the Management of Social Transformations (MOST) Programme (2016-2021), Jan. 2016, http://www.unesco.org/new/en/social-and-human-sciences/themes/most-programme/browse/1/ ;
SDG4 SDG5 SDG8 SDG9 SDG10 SDG16
- UNESCO, UNESCO MOST Action Plan 2016-2021, March 2017, http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0024/002472/247282E.pdf
SDG4 SDG5 SDG8 SDG9 SDG10 SDG16
- IOC-UNESCO, IOC Medium-Term Strategy 2014-2021, March 2014, http://www.ioc-unesco.org/index.php?option=com_oe&task=viewDocumentRecord&docID=12902
- UNESCO, Measuring Gender Equality in Science and Engineering: The SAGA Science, Technology and Innovation Gender Objectives List, 2016, http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0024/002450/245006E.pdf
- UNESCO, Measuring Gender Equality in Science and Engineering: The SAGA Toolkit: Working Paper 2 http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0025/002597/259766e.pdf
- UNESCO, UNESCO Science Report: Towards 2030, 2015, http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0023/002354/235406e.pdf
- UNESCO, UNESCO Moving forward the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, 2017, http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0024/002477/247785e.pdf
SDG1 SDG4 SDG5 SDG6 SDG9 SDG10 SDG13 SDG14 SDG15 SDG16 SDG17
- UNESCO, How Do We Identify Great Opportunities? A Knowledge Lab to Evaluate and Improve the Use of Foresight in Addressing Societal Changes, Jan. 2015, http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0023/002321/232109e.pdf
SDG4 SDG9 SDG10 SDG17
- UNESCO, Transforming the Future: Anticipation in the 21st Century, 2018, http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0026/002646/264644E.pdf
SDG4 SDG9 SDG10 SDG17
- UNESCO, 195 states agreed to common global norms and standards in the Recommendation on Science and Scientific Researchers, 2017
SDG1 SDG2 SDG3 SDG4 SDG5 SDG6 SDG7 SDG8 SDG9 SDG10 SDG11 SDG12 SDG13 SDG14 SDG15 SDG16 SDG17
12. UN Water
- UN Water, World Water Data Initiative Roadmap, Feb. 2017, http://www.unwater.org/publication_categories/world-water-development-report/
- ITU, AI Global for Good Summit Report, 2017, https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/AI/Documents/Report/AI_for_Good_Global_Summit_Report_2017.pdf
14. CELAC and FAO:
- CELAC & FAO, Innovation for Sustainable Rural Development, 2017, http://www.fao.org/3/a-i7769e.pdf
- WIPO, Methodology for the Development of National Intellectual Property Strategies: The Process, 2014, http://www.wipo.int/edocs/pubdocs/en/wipo_pub_958_1.pdf
- WIPO, Methodology for the Development of National Intellectual Property Strategies: Baseline Questionnaire, 2016, http://www.wipo.int/edocs/pubdocs/en/wipo_pub_958_2.pdf
- WIPO, Methodology for the Development of National Intellectual Property Strategies: Benchmarking Indicators, 2016, http://www.wipo.int/edocs/pubdocs/en/wipo_pub_958_3.pdf
- UNTCAD & WHO, Global Strategy and Plan of Action on Public Health, Innovation and Intellectual Property, 2011, http://www.who.int/phi/publications/Global_Strategy_Plan_Action.pdf
SDG3 SDG9 SDG17
- WTO, WHO &WIPO, Promoting Access to Medical Technologies and Innovation – Intersection between Public Health, Intellectual Property and Trade, 2012, https://www.wto.org/english/res_e/booksp_e/pamtiwhowipowtoweb13_e.pdf
SDG3 SDG9 SDG17
- The FAO-OIE-WHO Collaboration: A tripartite Concept Note, April 2010, http://www.oie.int/fileadmin/Home/eng/Current_Scientific_Issues/docs/pdf/FINAL_CONCEPT_NOTE_Hanoi.pdf
SDG3 SDG9 SDG17
17. World Bank:
- World Bank, RISE – Regulatory Indicators for Sustainable Energy: Methodology, http://rise.esmap.org/scoring-system
- World Bank, Public expenditure reviews in science, technology, and innovation : a guidence note (English) http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/561851468165876446/Public-expenditure-reviews-in-science-technology-and-innovation-a-guidence-note
- World Bank, Agricultural Innovation Systems: An Investment Sourcebook, 2012, http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTARD/Resources/335807-1330620492317/9780821386842.pdf
- IMF, Technology and the Future of Work, 2018, http://www.imf.org/external/np/g20/pdf/2018/041118.pdf
SDG8 SDG9 SDG17
References from Non-UN Agencies:
a. Other Intergovernmental Organizations:
19. International Energy Agency:
- Energy Technology Roadmaps – a guide to development and implementation https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/121079TechnologyRoadmapAguidetodevelopmentandimplementation.pdf
SDG7 SDG8 SDG9 SDG13 SDG17
- OECD, OECD Science, Technology and Innovation Outlook 2021, http://www.oecd.org/sti/oecd-science-technology-and-innovation-outlook-25186167.htm SDG9
- OECD, OECD Science, Technology and Industry Policy Papers (Series), http://www.oecd.org/sti/
- OECD, Reviews of Innovation Policy (Series), http://www.oecd.org/sti/inno/oecd-reviews-of-innovation-policy.htm
- OECD, Frascati Manual 2015: Guidelines for Collecting and Reporting Data on Research and Experimental Development, 2015, http://www.oecd.org/sti/inno/frascatimanualproposedstandardpracticeforsurveysonresearchandexperimentaldevelopment6thedition.htm
- OECD, The Ocean Economy in 2030, 2016, http://www.oecd.org/futures/oceaneconomy.htm
- OECD, Agricultural Innovation Systems, 2013, https://read.oecd-ilibrary.org/agriculture-and-food/agricultural-innovation-systems_9789264200593-en#page1
21. African Union:
- NEPAD-AU, NEPAD Strategic Plan 2014-2017, 2014, http://www.un.org/en/africa/osaa/peace/nepad.shtml
SDG8 SDG9 SDG17
22. European Union:
- European Commission, Concurrent Design Foresight: Report to the European Commission of the Expert Group on Foresight Modelling, 2015, http://ec.europa.eu/research/swafs/pdf/pub_governance/concurrent_design_foresight_report.pdf
SDG9 SDG11 SDG16 SDG17
- EU Innovation for Sustainable Development Network, Introduction to the Project Content, http://www.inno4sd.net/sdgs/introduction/introduction-to-the-project-content.kl
- Foodsecure Navigator, A policy framework for food and nutrition security, http://navigator.foodsecure.eu/Guidance/PolicyFramework.aspx
SDG2 SDG9 SDG17
- European Commission, 2035: Paths towards a sustainable EU economy: Sustainable transitions and the potential of eco-innovation for jobs and economic development in EU eco-industries 2035, Dec. 2015, http://publications.jrc.ec.europa.eu/repository/bitstream/JRC97936/reqn…
SDG9 SDG16 SDG17
b. Other non-UN entities
23. University of Cambridge:
- Robert Phaal, Cambridge Road-mapping, https://www.cambridgeroadmapping.net/roadmapping/ ; https://www.cambridgeroadmapping.net/toolkits/ ; https://www.cambridgeroadmapping.net/architecting/ ; https://www.cambridgeroadmapping.net/roadmapping-as-process/
SDG7 SDG8 SDG9 SDG11
- WBCSD, SDG Sector Roadmaps – a set of guidelines to provide a structured framework and approach that companies can follow, April 2018, https://www.wbcsd.org/Programs/People/Sustainable-Development-Goals/SDG-Sector-Roadmaps/Resources/SDG-Sector-Roadmaps
- WBCSD, Chemical Sector SDG Roadmap, July 2018, https://www.wbcsd.org/Programs/People/Sustainable-Development-Goals/Resources/Chemical-Sector-SDG-Roadmap
SDG7 SDG9 SDG17
25. International Science Council,
- International Science Council, High-Level Strategy of the International Science Council, https://council.science/publications/high-level-strategy
- IREA, Renewable Energy Innovation Outlook (Series), http://www.irena.org/publications/Our-Collections#renewable_readiness_assesments
- ICEF, Innovation for Cool Earth Forum (ICEF) roadmaps, https://www.icef-forum.org/roadmap/
- IIASA, ITWI2050 Report: Transformations to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, July 2018, http://pure.iiasa.ac.at/id/eprint/15347/1/TWI2050_Report_web-071718.pdf
- JST, Challenges to Development and Implementation of STI Roadmaps for SDGs - Expert Group Meeting International Workshop (Tokyo EGM), May 2018, https://www.jst.go.jp/sdgs/pdf/20180509/20180509_session7_3.pdf
30. International Development Research Centre
- Gault, Fred, Innovation Strategies for a Global Economy – development, implementation, measurement and management https://idl-bnc-idrc.dspacedirect.org/bitstream/handle/10625/44851/IDL-44851.pdf
31. Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES)
- IGES, Sustainable Development Goals Interlinkages and Network Analysis: A practical tool for SDG integration and policy coherence https://pub.iges.or.jp/pub/sustainable-development-goals-interlinkages
- SDG Interlinkages Analysis & Visualization Tool (V2.0) https://sdginterlinkages.iges.jp/visualisationtool.html *interlinkages of SDGs at targets levels for several countries (mainly Asia)
32. World Federation of Engineering Organizations
- ASCE Five-Year Roadmap to Sustainable Development https://www.asce.org/Sustainability-Roadmap/
- ICE Sustainability Route Map https://www.ice.org.uk/knowledge-and-resources/sustainability-route-map
The primary focus of this work is to support the countries and exchange views on a common guidance, principles and possible frameworks/ methodologies for country and international level STI roadmaps for the SDGs. To these ends, the team led by DESA and the World Bank, supports a collective effort by a group of champion countries and through a multi-stakeholder collaborative approach among the UN Inter-agency Task Team, non-UN partners and stakeholders.
Following over two years’ preparation and consultations, the final version of the Guidebook on Development of Science, Technology and Innovation Roadmaps for the SDGs is available.
To further facilitate the implementation of the Guidebook, DESA prepared the Operational Note based on the Guidebook on the STI roadmaps.
Our near-term goal is to translate the Guidebook into six official languages of the UN and other languages, reflecting comments and feedback received as well as incorporating lessons from experiences of pilot countries, subject to the availability of resources.
The Guidebook and the Operational Note will be living documents, periodically updated to reflect country pilot experiences and inputs from key stakeholders, as more countries embark on designing and implementing STI for SDGs roadmaps over the next years. We welcome your contributions, engagement and feedback throughout the process.