Co-organized by the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Division for Sustainable Development Goals (DESA/DSDG) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) New York Office
A Special Event of the 2021 High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development under the auspices of ECOSOC
The 2021 United Nations High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development, convened under the auspices of the Economic and Social Council, was held from Tuesday, 6 July, to Thursday, 15 July 2021.
The Division for Sustainable Development Goals (DSDG), at the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA/DSDG) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR), New York Office, have organized the 2021 edition of the SDGs Learning, Training & Practice – a series of capacity building and knowledge learning sessions held as a Special Event to the HLPF, featuring speakers and experts from many sectors on crucial topics related to the implementation of the SDGs under review in 2021.
In the 2021 HLPF, participants were able to explore various aspects of the response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the various measures and types of international cooperation that can control the pandemic and its impacts and put the world back on track to achieve the SDGs by 2030, within the decade of action and delivery for sustainable development.
The SDG Learning, Training and Practice Special Event aligned with the 2021 HLPF theme: "Sustainable and resilient recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic that promotes the economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development: building an inclusive and effective path for the achievement of the 2030 Agenda in the context of the decade of action and delivery for sustainable development".
It was also aligned with the set of SDGs to be reviewed in depth at the 2021 HLPF:
- SDG 1: End poverty in all its forms everywhere.
- SDG 2: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
- SDG 3: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
- SDG 8: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
- SDG 10: Reduce inequality within and among countries.
- SDG 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- SDG13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
- SDG 16: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
- SDG 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.
The 2021 SDGs Learning, Training and Practice Special event was held in a virtual format via an online meetings platform.
Ten learning sessions were organized and distributed in the first five days of the HLPF (6, 7, 8, 9 and 12 July). Each 1.5-hour long session was organized by national governments and relevant stakeholders selected through an open application process.
UNITAR and UNDESA provided the online platform for the sessions, coordinate participants registration, outreach and reporting.
The 2021 SDGs Learning, Training & Practice workshops aimed to advance:
- Knowledge and skills acquisition
- Sharing experiences and peer to peer collaboration
- Learning about practical actions and best practices
- Capacity building
- Practical policy integration and coherence
All sessions were livestreamed, recorded, and open to all interested participants. A dedicated page was set up at the 2021 HLPF website to promote information about the different sessions.
A summary report is being produced by DESA and UNITAR.
4. Open call for Learning Sessions proposals
The selection of the courses were be based on the outcomes of an open call to national governments and stakeholders. Deadline for the submission of course proposals was 25 March 2021.
5. Logistical arrangements
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis and in order to accommodate as many participants as possible, the 2021 SDGs Learning, Training and Practice was delivered in a virtual format. UNDESA and UNITAR staff hosted the meetings and managed digital logistics to ensure their smooth operation.
Only registered participants received the link to connect to the call one or two days prior to the session. Each session was able to accommodate up to 1000 participants.
6. Final summary report
Please find the final summary report of the 2021 SDGs Learning, Training and Practice under the documentation tab on this page or directly here.
7. 2021 SDGs Learning, Training and Practice in Numbers
Please click the 'programme' tab for more information about the individual sessions, concept notes and recordings. All recordings can be found in the special 2021 SDG Learning playlist on YouTube.
Please find the final summary report of the 2021 SDGs Learning, Training and Practice under the 'documentation' tab on this page.